Friday 23 June 2017

Creating a Facebook 360° image from a Panorama


I posted the image (below) of Oculus at World Trade Center, New York last night on Facebook as a Facebook 360° image and a lot of people asked how I managed to get it to appear on Facebook as a 360° image that you can scroll around or even tilt and turn your phone/tablet to view. Take a look at the Facebook post HERE

19 images merged. All shot with my Sony A7R and Samyang AF 14mm f2.8 at f8, 1/100th Second, ISO 100


Here’s the step by step process of what I did to achieve the 360° image (please note – I am new to this process also so haven’t tried it with many images).



  • First off I shot 19 frames with my Sony A7R and Samyang AF 14mm f2.8 FE lens in portrait orientation (it doesn't have to be this many images but it can be more. Just as long as you have a final image with an aspect ratio of 2:1)


  • These images were then imported to Adobe Lightroom and merged using the Photo Merge > Panorama tool (it could also be done in Adobe Photoshop via File > Automate > Photomerge)



  • I then edited the panoramic image to correct white balance, highlights, shadows, clarity, sharpness, etc.



  • Exported the file



  • The next step was to make sure that the image had a 2:1 aspect ratio. This is a very important step!! So I opened the image in Photoshop, went to Image > Image Size then unchecked the Constrain Aspect Ratio box and changed the width so that it was exactly double the height. So basically, I changed the width from 13555 to 9502 (the height of 4751 x2)


  • Saved the image






  • Upload your image



  • Click eXif.me to change the EXIF metadata



  • On the first tab (the one that’s already selected) in the box marked ‘Make’ delete any text and type and select Ricoh (It will suggest a few answers so just select Ricoh). While in this tab also change the ‘Model’ to Ricoh THETA S (see image below)



  • Click Go.eXifing to save the edit



  • Then close the editor



  • Click Download.me to download the file



  • Once downloaded, locate your image (with edited EXIF metadata) and upload to Facebook and the process should be complete 


Thanks for reading. I hope that the process works out for you and you manage to create some cool content with this.

Don't forget to follow me on my social media channels:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Samyang AF 35-150mm f2-2.8 FE